This year, the International Day of Cooperatives is celebrated on 7 July 2018. The theme for the 2018 International Day of Cooperatives is sustainable consumption and production and the slogan is ‘Sustainable societies through cooperation’. COPAC will be organising a celebration of the International Day at the United Nations. For more information, please contact at copac[at]copac[dot]coop.
The members of COPAC celebrated the 2017 International Day in the following way:
- The ILO has prepared a slideshow and the ILO Director-General has published a statement. The ILO also hosted an event to launch a new publication on cooperatives of home-based workers and waste pickers.
- UN DESA’s Division for Social Policy and Development has published a page on the day.
- The International Co-operative Alliance has released a statement and a video from its president, and launched the report Co-ops for 2030: A movement achieving sustainable development for all.
About the International Day
The United Nations International Day of Cooperatives is celebrated annually on the first Saturday of July. The aim of this celebration is to increase awareness on cooperatives, highlight the complementary goals and objectives of the United Nations and the international cooperative movement, underscore the contributions of the movement to the resolution of the major problems addressed by the United Nations and strengthen and extend partnerships between the international cooperative movement and other actors.
In 1992, following a concerted lobbying effort by the cooperative members of the International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) and COPAC members, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed the International Day of Cooperatives by the UN by resolution 47/90 of 16 December 1992.
The date of the celebration of the International Day was chosen to coincide with the already existing International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) International Cooperative Day with has been celebrated since 1923.
In 1994, the United Nations General Assembly adopted another resolution 49/151 of 23 December 1994 on cooperatives, which not only called on governments and international agencies to:
“consider fully the potential of cooperatives for contributing to the solution of economic, social and environmental problems in formulating national development strategies; and consider reviewing legal and administrative constraints on the activities of cooperatives with a view to eliminating those constraints that are not applied to other businesses and enterprises”,
but also invited
“…governments, relevant international organizations, specialized agencies and national and international cooperative organizations to observe annually the International Day of Cooperatives on the first Saturday of July starting from 1995, as proclaimed by the General Assembly in its resolution 47/90″.
The theme and slogan are generally selected in the first quarter of the year by COPAC.
Past IDC slogans
- 2016: Cooperatives: The power to act for a sustainable future
- 2015: Choose cooperatives, choose equality
- 2014: Cooperative enterprises achieve sustainable development for all
- 2013: Cooperative enterprises remain strong in times of crisis
- 2012: Cooperative enterprises build a better world
- 2011: Youth, the future of co-operative enterprise
- 2010: Cooperative enterprise empowers women
- 2009: Driving Global Recovery through Cooperative Enterprise
- 2008: Confronting Climate Change through Cooperative Enterprise
- 2007: Cooperative Values and Principles for Corporate Social Responsibility
- 2006: Peace-Building through Cooperatives
- 2005: Microfinance is OUR business: Cooperating out of poverty
- 2004: Cooperatives for Fair Globalisation: Creating Opportunities for All
- 2003: Cooperatives Make Development Happen!: The contribution of cooperatives to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals
- 2002: Society and Cooperatives: Concern for Community
- 2001: The Cooperative Advantage in the Third Millennium
- 2000: Cooperatives and Employment Promotion
- 1999: Public Policy and Co-operative Legislation
- 1998: Cooperatives and the Globalization of the Economy