The United Nations (UN) held the Global Launch of the International Year of Cooperatives (IYC) during the plenary meeting of the 66th UN General Assembly on 31 October 2011 at the UN Headquarters in New York (USA).
Videos of the IYC Launch are available
- Video of the the Launch event - 45th plenary meeting of the UN General Assembly
- Video of the opening segment and the informal round table discussion
- IYC Video: Cooperative Enterprises Build a Better World, produced by the International Labour Office (ILO) - available in English -- Français -- Español
- Video of the Side Event on agricultural cooperatives: A means to achieving food security co-organized by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the World Food Programme (WFP)
- Financial Crisis and Cooperative Banks - Press Conference on the IYC Launch
- United Nations launches Year-Long Celebration of Vital Role of Cooperatives in Sustainable Development (UN News)
- Leveraging Cooperatives, says Deputy Secretary-General of the UN launching the IYC, produces not only better business, but advances Sustainable Development (UN News)
- The President of the UN General Assembly says ‘People-Centred’ Cooperative Movement Critical to Advancing Development Agenda, Promotes Equality, Social Integration (UN News)
- Press conference on the IYC Launch with key financial cooperative leaders (UN News)
- Message from the Director-General of the International Labour Organization (ILO News)
- Agricultural cooperatives are key to reducing hunger and poverty (FAO News)
- Co-operatives Offer a Successful Business Model that Puts People First (pdf) - ICA Press Release
64th Session of the United Nations General Assembly. The Year was proclaimed in the resolution, "Cooperatives and Social Development"
UN resolution A/RES/64/136 passed on 18 December 2009 - Cooperatives in Social Development - available in English(pdf) -- Français (pdf) -- Español (pdf) -- Arabic (pdf) -- Chinese (pdf) -- Russian (pdf)The IYC aims at raising awareness on the socio-economic impact of cooperatives, and for promoting the autonomous formation and growth of cooperatives.
See more information on the official United Nations International Year of Cooperatives website: http://social.un.org/coopsyear/
- International Year of Cooperatives 2012: Cooperative enterprises build a better world
- Année internationale des coopératives 2012: Les coopératives, des entreprises pour un monde meilleur
- Año Internacional de las Cooperativas 2012: Las empresas cooperativas ayudan a construir un mundo mejor
A logo has also been released. The logo of the International Year of Cooperatives 2012 evokes the definition of cooperative enterprises as autonomous associations of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs and aspirations, through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise.
Based on the slogan of the year, ‘Cooperative enterprises build a better world’, the logo features seven persons working together to lift and support a cube. The cube represents the various projects goals and aspirations upon which cooperative enterprises are built, and the achievements that can be attained. The gender neutral figures represent the people factor central to the cooperative model, and there are seven of them, to represent the seven principles of the cooperative movement, i.e. voluntary and open membership, democratic member control, member economic participation, autonomy and independence, education, training, and information, cooperation among cooperatives, and concern for community.
As illustrated by the logo, these seven principles work together to allow cooperative members to achieve the goals and desires that they would not have been able to attain through their individual efforts.
All stakeholders will be encouraged to use the logo and slogan in the celebration of the Year in order to communicate a consistent and common message. For more information on the how to obtain authorization for the use the logo and the full scope of logos available, please see the official IYC logo page on the International Year of Cooperatives website: http://social.un.org/coopsyear/iyclogo.shtml
United Nations (UN) in close collaboration with the members of the Committee for the Promotion and Advancement of Cooperatives (COPAC) of which the United Nations is currently the chair. COPAC is the Coordinating Committee of the International Year of Cooperatives.
International Years are generally celebrated at the national level with celebrations coordinated by a National Committee. The UN has contacted its member states (governments) and invited them to set up national committees. The UN has encouraged national committees to bring together all interested parties including cooperatives, but open to all interested parties such as media, development agencies, non-governmental organizations, trade unions and employer organizations, educational institutions and other stakeholders. The national committees plan and co-ordinate events in their respective countries and provide a report on planned activities to the United Nations. The activity plan will be included in a UN report to be prepared in 2011 and so planning is now underway.
A number of governments have already indicated that they are interested in celebrating IYC and are establishing national committees. They have also designated focal points. The United Nations has made information available on how to contact focal points in each country. See more information on national committees >>>
Those interested in celebrating IYC are encouraged to participate in national committees to build new partnerships and dialogue among a wide range of cooperative stakeholders.
At the international level, the United Nations and its agencies are in the planning stages on how they will celebrate the year with international and regional events, programmes, projects and initiatives. COPAC as the Coordinating Committee is also assisting in identifying major celebrations and observances of the International Year.
- The UN and all COPAC members invite everyone to celebrate International Year of Cooperatives
IYC is an opportunity. Be creative on how best to ensure that cooperatives are better known, are able to operate and grow in a fair environment and are recognized as being an important but different type of business model.
- Coordination will be key to making IYC a success
More information on the Expert Group Meeting >>>
COPAC or Ms Felice Llamas at the United Nations to learn how to become a supporter of the Year.
- ICA Press Release: ICA commends UN on Proclamation of International Year of Cooperatives 2012
- UN Press Release: UN declares 2012 International Year of Cooperatives
- ILO Press Release: ILO hails UN proclamation of 2012 as International Year Cooperatives
ContactsUnited Nations Secretariat:
Ms. Felice Llamas, Focal Point for Cooperatives, United Nations