See more background information >>
UN International Day of Cooperatives is celebrated on the same day as the International Cooperative Day which has been celebrated by the International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) since 1923.
UN International Day of Cooperatives, 7 July 2012
"Cooperative enterprises build a better world" - "Les coopératives, des entreprises pour un monde meilleur" - "Las empresas cooperativas ayudan a construir un mundo mejor"
This year's theme links to the observance of the United Nations International Year of Cooperatives. It seeks to encourage the growth and establishment of cooperatives all over the world, and to recognize the actions of cooperatives in helping to achieve internationally agreed upon development goals, such as the Millennium Development Goals.
- 2012: Cooperative enterprises build a better world
- 2011: Youth, the future of co-operative enterprise
- 2010: Cooperative enterprise empowers women
- 2009: Driving Global Recovery through Cooperative Enterprise
- 2008: Confronting Climate Change through Cooperative Enterprise
- 2007: Cooperative Values and Principles for Corporate Social Responsibility
- 2006: Peace-Building through Cooperatives
- 2005: Microfinance is OUR business: Cooperating out of poverty
- 2004: Cooperatives for Fair Globalisation: Creating Opportunities for All
- 2003: Cooperatives Make Development Happen!: The contribution of cooperatives to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals
- 2002: Society and Cooperatives: Concern for Community
- 2001: The Cooperative Advantage in the Third Millennium
- 2000: Cooperatives and Employment Promotion
- 1999: Public Policy and Co-operative Legislation
- 1998: Cooperatives and the Globalization of the Economy
- 1997: The Cooperative Contribution to World Food Security
- 1996: " Cooperative Enterprise: Empowerment for People-centred Sustainable Development"
- 1995: The ICA Centennial and the Next 100 Years of International Cooperation